Reminder of Zionsville golf cart regulations
Summer weather is here and more residents are taking to their neighborhoods and local streets on golf carts. The Town of Zionsville’s golf cart ordinance regulates the legal use of golf carts by those with a valid operator’s permit on select approved streets.
In the interest of public safety, golf carts are prohibited on the following streets:
106th Street 116th Street CR 300 South
96th Street CR 975 East Ash Street from Mulberry Street to Maple Street
Elm Street from Willow Street to Willow Road First Street Ford Road
Maple Street from Ash Street to Willow Street Mulberry Street Oak Street from First Street to corporate town limit
Sycamore Street from First Street to Michigan Road Whitestown Road Willow Road
Willow Street Zionsville Road Main Street from 106th Street to Sycamore Street
To drive a golf cart, residents must obtain a registration permit from Zionsville Police Department offices. The annual registration fee is $100 per golf cart and must be renewed on an annual basis.
Rules for operating on a public roadway:
• Golf carts are prohibited on sidewalks, paths and trails.
• Golf carts may not be operated on prohibited streets as listed in the ordinance.
• Alcohol containers and other illegal substances are not permitted in the golf cart during operation on Town streets. Open container and DUI laws apply to golf carts.
• Driver must have a valid driver’s license and proof of financial responsibility.
• Driver must have a valid registration permit issued by ZPD.
• Driver must stay in the far right of the traveled portion of the road.
• Driver must obey all driver’s licensing requirements and Indiana traffic laws and yield to the right of way of pedestrians and bicycles.
• Driver may not have more than the number of passengers for which the golf cart was designed to accommodate.
• All carts must have the minimum safety equipment: headlights and brake lights, rearview mirror, slow-moving vehicle sign and horn.
Violators of the golf cart ordinance will be fined by ZPD. The first offense is $150, the second offense is $250 and the third and subsequent offenses are $500 and revocation of the permit.