ZIONSVILLE’S 10th Annual YOUTH ART MONTH
Youth Art Month (YAM) is an annual observation each March to emphasize the value of art education for all children and to encourage support for quality school art programs. Established in 1961, Youth Art Month provides a forum for acknowledging skills that are fostered through experience in the visual arts that are not possible in other subjects offered in the curriculum.
THE PURPOSE OF YOUTH ART MONTH:
• To direct attention to the value of art education which develops divergent & critical
thinking; multicultural awareness; as well as technical, communication, and expressive skills.
• To increase community, business, & governmental support for art education.
• To recognize art is a necessity for the full development of a better quality life for all people.
• To expand art programs in schools and stimulate new programing.
• To increase community understanding and interest in art & art education through involvement in art exhibits, workshops, and other creative ventures.
• To provide additional opportunities for individuals of all ages to participate in creative learning.
• To encourage commitment to the arts by student, community organizations and individuals everywhere.
• To recognize art education as a viable component in the total education curricula that develops citizens of a global society.
• To reflect & demonstrate the goals of the National Art Education Association that work toward the improvement of art education on all levels.
• To build the recognition and self-esteem of student artists as true artists in their own right.
YOUTH ART MONTH ACTIVITIES AND ART DISPLAYS IN ZIONSVILLE:
Artwork created by students of the Zionsville Fine Arts Department (Grades 1-12) will be on display at the following Zionsville establishments throughout the month of March:
Art IN Hand
Bites by Confectioneiress
Black Dog Books
Bub’s Burgers and Ice cream
Corner Vise Gallery & Frame Shop
Endurance Bike Company
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Library
Indiana Realtors Group
Jewel Box Jewelers
Michele’s On Main
Old National Bank
Robert Goodman Jewelers
Sullivan Munce Cultural Center
The Wine Guy
ZCS Educational Services Center
First Friday Receptions
will be held on Friday, March 6, 2020, from 5-7 pm @
Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Library, Goodman’s Jewelers, Sullivan Munce Cultural Center and Fivethirty Home
Free Art Classes will be held at the Hussey-Mayfield Memorial Library during the month of March.
Additional information and registration is available at: http://www.zionsville.lib.in.us/hmmpl/page/events
Constructing with Construction Paper — March 7th 10:00-10:30
Colorful Chameleons — March 14th 10:00-10:45
How to Draw Disney Characters — March 21st 10:00-10:45